Ancestry.com is a company that offers genealogists a place to research records, documents, and other pertinent information in order to build their family tree.You can also connect with other members who may be able to assist you in researching your tree because they may just be a long lost cousin.

Sounds good right? Well, not so fast. It used to be great but now.....now it's a nightmare. I've been a member for over 20 years.

During that time there is one thing that is consistent with this company - change. They continually make changes that are useless and unwarranted. Their customers complain about these changes but the complaints fall on deaf ears. The company revamps its site and releases a "new format" which is not only ugly, it's nearly impossible to use.

The wonderful search features are gone, the links to connect people with one another are gone, AND the features that are there are clunky and not at all user-friendly. It's so unpopular in fact, that there are several sites dedicated to bringing back the "old" or classic format including an online petition which is circulating the web and has nearly 4,000 signatures on it. While Ancestry is well aware of these complaints and these anti-ancestry.com sites, they have taken the attitude of "like it or lump it". They have made little or no effort to fix or change anything.

They have spent enormous amounts of time trying to sell or explain their actions but they have yet to correct their errors or clean up their mess. The site is constantly going down and is listed as "unavailable" and to top it off the records that are on the site, are riddled with errors. The transcriptions are usually always wrong with atrocious misspellings and incorrect data. There was one individual that was being searched for, for nearly 12 years and could not be located - as it turns out the person was there all along but incorrectly transcribed.

He was listed as "Foolkin Bumble"...yes, you're reading that correctly.

The ancestor's actual name was Fredrick Ramsey.So for 12 years Fred could not be located because some incompetent listed him as Foolkin Bumble - and that sums up Ancestry.com perfectly!

This person wrote the review because of bad quality of ancestry membership from Ancestry. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Ancestry to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Ancestry for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Ancestry?

Comments

Cleveland, Ohio, United States #1141437

Thank you.It's a mess.

People add me to their family when I am not blood or married or adopted etc. I get an email but can,t do anything unless I pay a fee. Calling them sure I will get free time to correct it. It's happened more than once.

Shame on this company for make nag a mess of history. I am the only one in my family who knows the entire history going back to the American Revolution and now I am in family's not related.

I do not want this in my life.Like I said what a mess.

gardenofsandy

And I have spent 14 years cleaning up census records for free at Ancestry only to have my thoughts on New Ancestry dismissed. They used to send you thank you e-mails when you fixed a record but now they are so arrogant you don't even get that.

Euless, Texas, United States #1078966

After honestly giving the "New" Ancestry a try on several different occasions, I've come to realize this improvement is a Butt Ugly Layout, Hard to Navigate, Chops up images, Changes "locations" (shout out to Ancestry, my folks came from Prussia, not Germany) and is no longer useful for Ancestry's longtime serious researchers.Also don't appreciate constant Pop-Up's asking ?

ie "do you really want to add this?" I'm not a 4th Grader. They've dummied down a once useful genealogy site, plus my computer slows waaaay down when using "New" since they loaded all the unwanted info onto profile pages. I've paid abt 40.00/mo for 10yr. Guess what?

Ancestry knows & doesn't give a hoot

FYI Ancestry, ever heard of the New Improved Coke? JC Penny's, Ford Taurus? etc.

Went Bonk!when someone decided to change what customers wanted to something that cost corp involved big $$ in lost revenue then oops we're bad, back to what worked.

I was wondering what happened.Several years ago, I spent tons of time on Ancestry researching my family tree.

It was fun and I didn't consider it a waste of time since I was learning and discovering, etc. I ended up stopping for various reasons (life). Fast forward to last month when I got an email from them out of the blue. I had time on my hands and decided to go back and explore some more.

Not only was all of my previous research gone, the site was completely different. Cumbersome and frustrating don't even begin to describe it.

I gave up after 10 minutes.Not the Ancestry I remembered.

I couldn't have put it better. The site is now so slow that it is USELESS.