1.8

Update by user May 31

Ancestry does not provide customer contact info on the website, but a phone number can be found on your credit card statement. I reached a representative and they were able to restore an earlier version of my family tree with 2 hours.

No explanation as to what caused the problem. I suggested that they post their contact info on their website and the rep said they would check on it.

Original review posted by user May 01

I have been working almost continuously for 4 months building my family tree. This morning I opened ancestry.com and the entire tree with over 3,000 people in it is gone.

There is no way to contact Ancestry.com--no phone number and nothing on the "contact" menus like a chat room or even a way to send an email to them.

They also prevent you from downloading the information in your tree. You can make screen captures and you can print a summary report on individual people but you cannot save it to a separate file where it can be backed up.

When you try to give negative feedback on any of the information screens the "thumbs down" image sends you to a screen that can't be found.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ancestry Website.

I liked: Access to historical documents.

I didn't like: No way to contact the company, I lost 4 months of data.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from May 01.

Comments

There was a way to obtain a hard copy by printing (screen captures according to your post) even though it was somewhat inconvenient. Therefore, it is entirely your own fault that you have no backup and put 100% trust in a 3rd party, techno-oriented setup which is just as likely to hang you as help you ; and you pay for the privilege.

All of my digital based equipment has failed or malfunctioned at some point or another - it is cheap, unreliable, and has a planned obsolescence life ; why would somebody's website be any different ?

Wise up - back up ! - the weakest ink beats the strongest memory.

to Lester #1501327